Tag Archives: Polo Bun Recipe (Pineapple Bun)
Polo bun (pineapple bun) requires no introduction. It is made famous all the way from Hong Kong and is famous for its exquisite taste and are commonly available in most coffee shops in Hong Kong. You can have it for breakfast, tea break and any time of the day. However, it is no easy feat to prepare the polo bun if you don’t know the recipe. It basically requires only a few types of ingredients, some effort and time to make the delicious Polo bun. Here is how to prepare the homemade polo bun.
300g of all-purpose flour
2 tablespoon of milk powder
1/2 tablespoon of salt
60g of raw sugar
1 large beaten egg
2 tablespoon of baking powder
2 cups of water
100g of all-purpose flour
1 large beaten egg
1. Firstly, in the bowl of an electric mixer, knead the flour, sugar, salt, egg, baking powder, milk powder all together till the dough turns smooth and becomes elastic for about 10 minutes.
2. Next, place the battered dough on a board and knead and mix in the dough using your hand to push out the air out of the dough. Sit the dough at room temperature for about 40 minutes for the yeast to take effect.
3. Divide batter into smaller portions according to the bun size. This recipe makes about 8 equal rounded shape of buns. You may gauge to make about 50g each. Sit them in room temperature for another 15 minutes. The bun will grow larger as the yeast take effects.
4. Next, we will prepare the polo bun‘s toppings while waiting for the bun to grow in size. In another bowl of electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy for 3 – 4 minutes. Gradually add in the sugar, salt and milk powder and add in the beaten egg til everything is combined. Once its ready, take a portion of the pastry using a chopper (its easier to flatten it due the shape of the knife). Press the dough down and place them on top of your bun.
5. Using a brush, brush some egg on top.
6. Then, place the polo buns in the preheated oven at 210 degrees for 10 minutes. The polo bun is ready to be served immediately. I like to slice some butter and place them in the middle of the bun to have a more buttery taste.
Preparation time : 60 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Number of serving (s) : 8 polo buns